How do you Dry Grapes in The Wet?? With a Helicopter!!!

DSC_7395

Bogged in a Ditch

Whilst the boys did some work in town I worked a day on a grape farm. The rains just started to come in during the early afternoon and the picking was ground to a halt. I called it a day and set of down the 10km driveway to the main road, thinking I would probably not make it back because I had barely made it in due to slippery mud on the dirt track. "You'll be fine" I was assured by a guy in a four wheel drive.

DSC_7400
It's not all fun and games

Exactly half way down the track I pulled to one side to avoid a huge puddle and instantly got bogged down in the mud, wheels spinning uselessly the rain starting to dribble on my window pane. I knew it would happen. I stepped out of the van and instantly slipped in my only footwear, flip-flops, and the rain was starting to come down harder. My phone, as usual was out of range, even if it was in range I had no phone credit. I was 5kms away from the farm and they couldn't hear me beeping my horn, I did what I know best, opening my book in the hopes that someone would rescue me before I got to the last page.

DSC_7399

Help came an hour or so later when I was pulled out by the farm's visiting family members. Thank you thank you thank you!
The following few days we were promised work at the grape farm, but the rain had not let us work. Grapes apparently ruin if you pick them while wet, they even brought in helicopters to dry out the grapes in between showers, to no avail and at great expense, the rain kept coming and the work kept slipping through our wet, damp, wrinkled fingers.

DSC_7401
I try to walk in the mud but my shoes are too slippery

1 comment:

Gareth, Anne and Phil said...

Can you believe it that months and months on we still haven't been paid for this work. I have rang Ritchie at Alice Springs Table Grapes on a number of occasions and yet he still hasn't paid.

This frustrates me no end.
We really went out of our way to help him out, using our fuel, time and energy to pick and box his grapes. We wasted two days waiting around in the rain without work because he couldn't let us know if he needed our help or not and we hung up posters for him in all the youth hostels to advertisefor other pickers for him. Backpackers responded to these posters and so he no longer needed our help.
Besides getting stuck in the mud and wasting time and fuel to help this guy get out of a pickle when he was worried about losing his crop if it wasn't picked, it's just plain rude to not pay people for the work they have done.
He has robbed Book Aid and the children they support of the wages he owes.